Author Topic: My bikes... Part 1  (Read 856 times)

Offline PaulH

• Slight Whinger
My bikes... Part 1
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
Ok, this isn't meant to 'compete' with the bike sagas Major is writing, I don't have the time or patience to go into such detail but this is my attempt at a bit of my own biking history, which having read some posts on here is a bit shorter than most anyway!  ;)

Right then, first bikes...

My first 'ride' was actually my step-dad's Honda CB250N Superdream, although I never actually got to ride this on the road as he sold it before I passed my test. All I got were 1st and 2nd gear rides on the drive and bit of private road nearby at the time, but at 16/17 years old the bug 'bit' and I was hooked. It was only a matter of time until the first bike of my own arrived, which was a bit of a disaster...

The 'first' was a Kawasaki KH100EX, in kind of an 'orange' colour. I'd had no formal tuition so it was a case of L plates on and off I go. That would've been grand but the bike decided to cut out at regular but inopportune moments, such as the middle of a busy roundabout... Needless to say, this knocked my confidence in the bike a little bit, so it was duly chopped in for the Honda H100S you see in the pictures with my step-dad's CB250. I never did get a photo of that little Kawasaki though...

I kept the little H100 for a couple of years. I did a bit of rider training, passed my test on it (they stood on a street corner and watched you ride off in them days) and did loads of commuting to my first proper job on it too, along with some cracking rides out past Penistone, up over the Woodhead Pass and back through Glossop and Sheffield. It never missed a beat and taught me a lot, including how to flip my brother off the back from a standing start at the traffic lights! He wasn't impressed... :-[ ;D

Anyway, come 1989 I joined the Army so was 'bikeless' for a little while; the wages then were crap and I didn't have much need for one until I was well established after basic & trade training. My first posting with the Regiment was in Tidworth, Wiltshire and by the end of 1989 the urge for my first 'bigger' bike arrived. I'd had my eye on a Suzuki RG250 Gamma, but on going into our local shop (back on leave in Barnsley) I saw it; a 1985 Yamaha RD350YPVS. I was in love and had to have it, which I did.

I again learned a lot on the bike, perhaps the most important being how not to wrap it around a tree/lamp post like many before me... It went like a demon and sounded just as evil, the front end spending as much time in the air as on the ground if you were throttle happy, but good lord it was fun. I rode it up and down the country and to the 1990 GP (it wasn't 'motogp' then) and generally behaved like a typical teenage 'hooligan', until one day a bloke in the Regiment introduced me to what would become my next (and first 1000cc) bike; a Z1000ST modified to look a bit 'café racer'. That's for another day though, I'll finish this post with some pics of my gorgeous RD350YPVS. Looking at the way prices have gone for these, I couldn't afford one now...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:50:22 PM by PaulH »

Grumpy CXXXVI

Re: My bikes... Part 1
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
Excellent write up Paul!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:09:02 AM by Windwalker »

Offline PaulH

• Slight Whinger
Re: My bikes... Part 1
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
Cheers Major, glad you enjoyed it and it'd definitely be good to read a few more biking histories. Our bikes are part of who we are and I reckon each one makes its own little (or big, sometimes) impression on our lives. I might do a Part 2 tomorrow but then I'm back to work so it'll be a week or two before the next bit.
Are you going to the Chequers this Wednesday?